Naval Museum

  • Просмотров 1936
  • Скачиваний 339
  • Размер файла 149
    Кб

Portrait. Peter I in armour J. M. Notier type, 1720-th. The Collection of the Central Naval Museum began with ships' models collection of Tzar Peter the Great and Model Chamber of Saint Petersburg Admiralty, which is mentioned for the first time in Peter's letter of 24 January 1709. The main goal of the Model Chamber creation was to keep transport ships and warships draughts and models, constructed at the Admiralty shipyards for the Baltic Fleet. Kinds from a roof of a building of the Central Naval Museum Photo 2001 The Museum of the Armenian Genocide opened in 1995 in time to commemorate the eightieth anniversary of the Genocide. The Museum structure is of unique and original design. (architects: S. Kalashian and L. Mkrtchian). This two-story building is located at and in

the side of a hill so as not to detract from the imposing presence of the Genocide Monument nearby. The roof of the building is flat and covered by concrete tiles. It serves as a scenic view point overlooking the Ararat valley and Mount Ararat. The first floor of the Museum is below grade and houses administrative, engineering and technical maintenance offices and spaces, a 170-seat hall (Komitas Hall), storage rooms for museum and scientific objects, a library and a reading hall. The Museum exhibit is mounted in the second floor in a space which is over 1000 square meters. It occupies three indoor halls and one outdoor hall and its hallway. An eight meters long and three meters wide basalt stone lies on the floor of the outdoor hall and the hallway. The outdoor hall symbolizes

the eternal memory of the victims of the 1915 Genocide and the unity of the Armenian people spread throughout the world. It also expresses the struggle between good and evil, light and darkness. The western wall of the Museum's first exhibit hall has a map engraved in stone which shows the historical Armenian Plateau and neighboring countries. It is bounded by the Black Sea in the north, the Caspian Sea in the east, the Iranian Plateau in the south, and the Mediterranean Sea to the southwest. The map shows the Armenian settlements on the territory of Western Armenia and Ottoman Turkey which existed until the massacres of the Armenians and the massive death marches which began in 1915. The map is nine meters wide and five meters high. The Introductory Hall exhibits photographs and

ethnographic tables with information about the Armenian settlements and Armenian population figures in 1914 in Ottoman Turkey. They also contain information on the number of Armenian churches and schools which were functioning in the region at that time. A composite of the tables there and in the third hall provide a visitor with the following data, including the population figures in 1914 before the Genocide (See the following charts). Name of Armenian Region and settlement (1914) Number of Armenian settlements (1914) Number of Armenian Churches (1914) Number of Armenian Schools (1914) 1914 Population Erzerum 425 482 322 215,000 Van 450 537 192 197,000 Diarbekir 249 158 122 124,000 Kharput 279 307 204 204,000 Bitlis 618 671 207 220,000 Sivas 241 219 204 225,000 Trebizond 118 109

190 73,390 Western Anatolia 237 281 300 371,800 Cilicia & Northern Syria 187 537 176 309,000 European Turkey 58 67 79 194,000 TOTAL 2,925 3,368 1,996 2,133,190 The second exhibit hall (700 square meters) presents eyewitness reports and documents about the massacres and atrocities perpetrated against the Armenians. The exhibit has many large photographs taken during 1915-1917, archival documents, portraits of prominent Armenians, victims of the atrocities, friends of the Armenian people, and documentary films. A special part of the exhibit is reserved for the original documents issued by international organizations and parliaments of foreign countries condemning the Genocide. Numerous different publications about the Armenian genocide written in many languages are also