Alcohol Related Deaths Essay Research Paper More

  • Просмотров 239
  • Скачиваний 12
  • Размер файла 19
    Кб

Alcohol Related Deaths Essay, Research Paper More than 100,000 deaths per year are attributed to alcohol, in the United States. Alcohol-related auto accidents account for approximately 24,000 of these deaths (most often the victims are under 30 years of age), while alcohol-related homicide account for 11,000 and suicide 8,000 deaths. Certain types of cancer, which are partly associated with the consumption of alcohol, contribute to another 17,000 deaths. Alcohol-related strokes are responsible for 9,000 deaths. 25,000 lost lives are due to 12 alcohol-related diseases including cirrhosis of the liver. All these deaths combined are the equivalent of 200 jumbo jetliners crashing and taking the lives of everyone onboard, in just one year. Such numbers are staggering until you

realize that it is Coronary Heart Disease that is the number one killer in the United States, not alcohol. There are roughly 900,000 persons admitted to U.S. hospitals for strokes annually and 830,00 admitted for Congestive Heart Failure. Though they are not always fatal, these diseases will leave its victims at varying levels of incapacitation. Looking at specific age groups, cardiovascular disease is the #1 killer of those age 65+ and #2 killer of those age 25 ? 64 This is a political issue for the U.S. with so many lives lost to alcohol-related disease and accidents. Leaders will not be perceived favorably by designating research money to study the health benefits of a drug responsible for damaging so many lives. I believe it is this political climate which limits research in

this area, and I believe it is this climate that limits the amount of coverage the media provides about its possible benefits. As I began to research this subject I was intrigued by the vast number of articles and studies on the health benefits of wine. The industry has submitted a number of press releases attempting to counter the negative social stigma alcohol had developed circa 1992 – 98. These articles aside, I found reputable sources, with published reports, from such respected names as Harvard, UC Davis, Georgetown, and the Mayo Clinic. Several of these studies have been published in the American Medical Journal, and the New England Journal of Medicine. I found articles referring to the ?French Paradox.? This is an occurrence where the French diet contains equal levels

of fat as the U.S. however the coronary disease related mortality rate of France is 1/3 that of the U.S. diet. I believe we must investigate and prove or disprove the assertion that wine is somehow involved. Either we are letting hundreds of thousands of people die or become severely debilitated senselessly by not taking advantage of wine?s possible benefits, or we are allowing an industry to spread half-truths with the potential of hurting unsuspecting consumers. Mounting evidence continues to suggest that when taken with a balanced diet, moderate amounts of wine can reduce the level of LDL cholesterol in the bloodstream, reduce the risk of heart disease, reduce the risk of stroke, and thus lower mortality rates. DEFINING THE PROBLEM Are there health benefits to drinking

moderate amounts of wine, which will reduce the mortality rate in humans? HYPOTHESIS Even though fat intake in France is similar to the American diet, the liberal consumption of wine in France protects the French against coronary heart disease by lowering LDL cholesterol and thereby lowering the risk of blockage, thus reducing mortality rates. EVIDENCE First, mounting evidence continues to suggest that when taken with a balanced diet, moderate amounts of wine can reduce the level of LDL cholesterol in the bloodstream. The human body manufactures approximately 80% of the cholesterol used and stored in its cells. The remaining 20% is derived from eating animal products. Cholesterol is transported through the body via the bloodstream. To allow this, the body attaches a protein to