Air Pollution And How It Affects Plants

  • Просмотров 269
  • Скачиваний 12
  • Размер файла 17
    Кб

Air Pollution And How It Affects Plants And Animals Essay, Research Paper Air, like water is essential for life. Air pollution, like water pollution is a problem that threatens us all. We are all aware that air and water are the most precious of all our natural resources. We need clean air and accessible water to carry on normal life functions. In past generations, the amounts of fuels burned in home and industry have greatly increased. This increased burning has also increased the amount of impurities discharged into the air. And since a pollutant is an impurity, we cannot have clean air as long as it is being bombarded with impurities. Ever since man discovered how to use fire, he has been polluting the atmosphere. Man being able to burn thing provides us with power but,

when we burn things we contribute much waste to the atmosphere. Ancient Romans complained of odor and soot deposits on clothing and crops due to coal burning, wood burning and oil lamp usage. During the middle ages and the colonial periods complaints have also been reported of soot deposits were registered as a result of burning fuels. With the beginning of the Industrial Revolution an increase in the amount of fuels burned to run the factories and heat homes. Not until recently has air pollution been considered a serious threat to our environment. Air pollution is treating to our environment for two main reasons 1) the rapid growth of the earth s population 2) the expansion of our technological activities. The same growth has created various new waste products harmful to heath

and detrimental to the growth of living things. What exactly air pollution? Air pollution is a substance in our atmosphere consisting of man-made contaminants that may be harmful to humans, plants, animal life or property. Air pollution is made up of gaseous materials that make up more then 90% of the total air pollution. Some of these gaseous materials include; carbon monoxide (CO), hydrocarbons, and nitrogen oxides (see pie charts for source of these gaseous materials in the atmosphere).Suspended particles make up the other less then 10% of the total air pollution. All the major air pollution incidences effect animals, primarily zoo or domestic animals . Dogs exhibit the same symptoms of respiratory disease as do humans. The oxides and fluorides are known to be highly toxic to

animals. Animals appear to be tougher than man, when exposed to air borne contaminants, but there is evidence of the deterioration of livestock When exposed to photochemical smog. Studies conducted in large urban zoos show that wolves and lions developed a susceptibility to lung cancer. Fluorides have been know to cause crippling skeletal defects in cattle. Many instances of fluoride poisoning in livestock have been reported and documented. Water is polluted if it is not suitable for its first intended uses for example, agricultural and industrial uses, recreation, propagation of fish and wildlife and domestic water supply. The natural purification process use oxygen to break down natural contaminants. Excessive amounts of organic matter will cause a decomposition process which

will be without oxygen. This decomposition without oxygen produces hydrogen sulfide, a bad smelling gas. There are about eight categories of pollutants that may affect the aquatic life of a community. They are heat, sediments, radioactive substances, synthetic organic chemicals, plant nutrients, sewage and disease causing organisms and inorganic substances. Heat can reduce the capacity of water to absorb oxygen. Increased water temperature, caused by the introduction of water from a power generating plant or other industries may upset the ecological balance. When heated water is returned to a stream, it can raise the temperature of the cooler water a few degrees. This slight temperature change is enough to be lethal to many aquatic animals that are used to a specific temperature.