Aim to Identify Different Types Of Land

  • Просмотров 251
  • Скачиваний 12
  • Размер файла 19
    Кб

Aim -to Identify Different Types Of Land Use That Have Undergone Change In The Lea Valley Essay, Research Paper Aim -to identify different types of land use that have undergone change in the Lea Valley. -to examine the reasons why the land use has changed. ?? - to investigate the impact of change upon the local community. -to investigate the impact of change upon the environment.Introduction- The Lea Valley History Ponders End started out as a large hamlet in the parish of Enfield. The High Street was built up from Red Lane (Lincoln Road) to just south of Farm Lane (Southbury Road). Houses were dotted along South Street as far as Ponders End Mill and the Lee Navigation. There was also a small settlement clustered around Scotland Green. There was no road access across the

river to Chingford. (It was not until the early eighteen-seventies that Lea Valley Road was built, financed by public subscription). A report by the General Board of Health (1850) on sanitary conditions in Enfield reveals an alarming state of affairs in Ponders End. Many of the older cottages were grossly overcrowded and extremely insanitary. The worst affected areas were South Street and Scotland Green. The whole area suffered from poor drainage.Housing development began at a fairly early date. Alma Road was developed from 1855 and Napier Road had been laid out by 1867. The Lincoln House Estate (Derby Road and Lincoln Road) was built up from 1871. Durants Road was developed from 1888 and Nags Head Road from 1890. By 1914 much of the area had been built up, but there was still

open country separating Ponders End from Enfield Highway to the north and Edmonton to the south.For many years the nearest church was at Enfield Town. Then in 1831 St James Church was built at Enfield Highway. Ponders End did not get a church of its own until 1878 when St Matthew’s Church was erected in South Street. The nonconformists, however, took Ponders End rather more seriously. An Independent Chapel was built in the High Street in 1768. (This is the direct ancestor of the present United Reformed Church).The oldest industrial site is the Ponders End Mill. The present mill buildings date from the late 18th century. In 1809 Grout and Baylis’ crape factory was built in South Street. This closed in 1894 and the factory was later taken over by United Flexible Metal Tubing. A

jute mill was opened beside the Lee Navigation in 1865, lasting until 1882. The building was taken over by Ediswan in 1886 and used for the manufacture of electric light bulbs and later radio valves. During World War I, a huge munitions factory, the Ponders End Shell Works was built in Wharf Road. The factory buildings were sold off after the war. Further factories were built in the thirties alongside the newly-built Great Cambridge Road.After World War II much of the older part of Ponders End was in a rundown state. From the fifties onwards there was much council redevelopment particularly in the South Street and Alma Road areas. Today Ponders End is an uneasy mixture of old and new: the Mill buildings survive in the shadow of the Alma Road tower blocks.The River Lea or Lee runs

from Luton in Bedfordshire to the River Thames in east London. Evidence of Bronze and Iron Age settlements have been found along the length of the river and the Romans built Ermine Street parallel to the Lee shortly after they arrived in Britain around two thousand years ago.The waters of the Lee powered many mills producing flour, gunpowder and also England’s first paper mill in c1494. As early as 1424 parliament passed an act allowing works to improve navigation, and the Lee was for centuries an important goods highway into London.? Malt, flour, coal and gunpowder were all transported in large quantities to the capital. During the mid 1700’s the navigation was much improved with new cuts and locks.?? Even after the arrival of the railways, imported timber was still