Aids And Std Education Essay Research Paper

  • Просмотров 400
  • Скачиваний 12
  • Размер файла 19
    Кб

Aids And Std Education Essay, Research Paper Adults (over the age of 18) from the _________ company and other peope who I know were randomly assigned to receive the survey. The group includes married males and females as well as single male and females. There are 19 female and 31 male subjects. A survey consisting of twenty statements concerning sexually transmitted disease and HIV infection. The survey was designed by myself . The purpose of the survey is to measure participants awareness of AIDS and sexually transmitted diseases. I am trying to show that people are not well informed about subjects such as condom use, condom use and alcohol, transmission of sexual diseases, and the magnitude of the AIDS problem. Subjects are asked to choose the level with which they agree or

disagree with each statement. There are two levels of agreement and two levels of disagreement. See appendix A. A consent form was signed by all participants. See appendix B. Results t-test*: t (48) = -2.2185, p * .0313 | | | df cv pv Variable N Mean Std Dev. Minimum Maximum Q1 50 1.420 0 .810 1.00 4.00 Q10 49 1.408 0.810 1.00 4.00 Q15 50 1.320 0 .621 1.00 4.00 Q3 48 3.396 0.869 1.00 4.00 Q9 50 3.240 0.822 1.00 4.00 Q6 50 3.220 0.834 1.00 4.00 Q16 50 3.100 0.621 1.00 4.00 Methods Subjects Adults (over the age of 18) from the company and other people who I know were randomly assigned to receive the survey. The group includes married males and females as well as single male and females. There are 19 female and 21 male subjects. Ages ranged from late teens to early fifties, with the

majority being in their twenties. Independent variable Questions 6, 9, 13, and 16 on the survey. I would be comfortable eating lunch with someone with HIV or AIDS. I would be comfortable shaking hands with someone who has AIDS. I am very well informed about HIV, AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases. I would not have unprotected sex with someone unless they got tested first. Dependent Variable. Awareness and education of AIDS and sexually transmitted disease. Operational Definition Awareness and education of AIDS and sexually transmitted disease equals a total score of 12 or higher on questions 6, 9, 13, and 16 of the survey. Procedures A survey consisting of twenty statements concerning sexually transmitted disease and AIDS was given to fifty subjects. A t test was

performed on the results as well as a comparison of male vs. Female scores on the Awareness and Education variable. DiscussionResults of the survey have shown a need for additional education of males concerning AIDS awareness and education. Females, (89%) did verywell on the variable which was measured for satisfactory knowledge andawareness of AIDS and sexually transmitted disease. Males, (65%) didalso score well on this variable. This leaves us with 35% of the malesneeding more education and 11% of the females needing to increase thereawareness and education. The rather large number of males needingfurther education tend to support my hypotheses that yes more educationis necessary. I was pleased to see that on the whole, people are betterinformed than I had originally

hypothesized as demonstrated by thescores reported for specific question. The lowest score or strongestdisagreement was on the statement that AIDS was no longer a big issue. People also realize that just having one sex partner at a time is notenough to protect you from AIDS as demonstrated by their response tonumber 10. The strongest agreement with statements on the surveyconcerned worrying about children’s future.This being the case, why is it that behavior as is described in myresearch does not reflect this knowledge? People know what they need todo to reduce their chances of exposure to AIDS and sexually transmitteddisease but they fail to do it. The research concentrated on studentswho are exposed to much more information about AIDS than adults who areout of the educational