A Country Report and Profile - Republic of Uzbekistan — страница 5

  • Просмотров 6237
  • Скачиваний 648
  • Размер файла 21
    Кб

tax purposes: ‑ housing, social and cultural facilities; ‑ environmental protection assets; ‑ agricultural equipment; ‑ transportation networks (including roads and pipeline); ‑ communication and power transmission lines (including ‑ maintenance structures); ‑ communication satellites; and ‑ automobiles. Profit tax is deductible for profits tax purposes. Subsurface use tax Taxes on the mining, and oil and gas industries. Subsurface uses tax is deductible for profits tax purposes. Land tax A fee on land owners is imposed at a fixed rate per hectare. Vehicle fees A minimal fee on motor vehicle owners is imposed at a fixed rate per horsepower. Individuals must also pay this fee, though only at half the corporate rate. Only vehicles

registered for road use are subject to this tax (e.g. not those used for production which would be subject to property tax). In addition there is a fee on the purchase of vehicles, defined as a percentage of the purchase price of the vehicle excluding VAT or duties, 5% for cars and 10% for trucks, buses, trailers and semi‑trailers. Road use tax All entities are subject to road use tax which is applied to gross sales, excluding VAT and excises. For transportation companies a rate of 2% and for all other companies a rate of 1% applies. The tax is deductible for profits tax purposes. Water use fee There is a nominal charge for the use of water resources at a fixed rate per cubic meter of water consumed. For most companies, the rate is 0.09 soum per cubic meter. The fee is

deductible for profits tax purposes within statutory water use limits. Local taxes There are numerous different taxes, though most are insignificant except for the administrative burden. Example of more significant local taxes include: C     Tax on advertising costs. In Tashkent the rate is 5% of total expense. C     Fee for cleaning the local territory, payable by entities and individuals conducting entrepreneurial activities. In Tashkent the rate is 0.5% of gross receipts. C     Fee for the right to trade, payable by entities and individuals conducting retail trade. In Tashkent the rate is two minimum monthly wages per month. Revenue collection problems13 C     High tax rates on modest tax bases

reduced not only by economic contraction but also by various exemptions. C     Weak tax administration compounded by corruption. C     The effective tax burden on those who comply with the tax code is increased since large numbers of taxpayers successfully evade taxes ‑ equity and efficiency problems. C     Corruption and abuse of authority by poorly paid tax administrators are serious problems. C     Another major cause of poor tax revenues is dollarization and the continued use of barter, payment in kind. The Investment Policy of Uzbekistan Priority areas14 1. Gold‑mining and non‑ferrous (Uzbekistan ranks 4th in the world in terms of gold reserves). 2. Power engineering. 3.

Processing of cotton (40% of the gross agricultural production is cotton, however only 10% of produced raw cotton is processes in Uzbekistan, the rest is exported as raw material. The existing textile industry is obsolete). 4. Processing of vegetables and fruits (The production makes up 60% of the total fruit and vegetables production of the former USSR; agricultural infrastructure development needed ‑ processing, transportation, storage facilities, packing). 5. Transport and communication. 6. Tourism (4000 architectural monuments, many of them are under the protection of UNESCO;. world famous cities Samarkand, Bukhara, Khiva; tourism infrastructure is a potential area of investment). 7. Financial and monetary. Create a network of banks and insurance institution. 8.

Environmental Protection (degradation of the ecosystem of the Aral Sea, irrational use of water resources). Guarantees and privileges granted to foreign investors15 1. If subsequent legislation of the republic of Uzbekistan impairs investment conditions, then the legislation which was valid at the time of making the investment shall apply for a period of time not exceeding 10 years. 2. Companies= profit tax shall be reduced by: C     20%, for an export share of 5-10% of the total production; C     30%, for an export share of 10-20% of the total production; C     40%, for an export share of 20 to 30% of the total production; C     50%, for an export share of 30% or above of the total production. The